Friday 22 May 2009

Yesterday was such a good day for getting things done, in the garden...at the allotment, but I simply, frustratingly, lacked the time. I popped up at lunchtime after a quick google on slug deterrents and armed with a bag of raw oats, scattered them around the plot, lets hope they work!

Later on in the evening I took Callum up to the plot and whilst I wrapped some fleece around the runners, Callum - armed with a miniature watering can and junior shovel..watered the plants and had a go at digging the strawberry bed!! I have a little helper there! Unlike our two ten year old boys who relished it all at first but soon get bored now!

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Well done for not reaching for the slug pellets! I hope your slugs aren't too much of a problem - if you are on a new allotment site, the bird population won't have 'caught up' with the new food source (worms, slugs) - is there any chance that you can put a corner aside for a small pond for frogs/toads?

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of oats to combat slugs. I'll pass it on to my garden buddies who have problems with the pesties. After a couple of days of rain my balcony container garden got a visit from our summer nemesis -- mosquitoes. I'll be out in search of citronella tomorrow. Cheers!

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr