Wednesday 3 June 2009

Progress...

This morning I got a letter from the council explaining that they have put two skips at the allotments for tenants to fill with the couch grass, instead of burning it and therefore setting ourselves up for complaints...
Trust me to get this news now, yesterday I spotted the skips and one of the tenants dumping the couch grass in them and they were virtually full already....I just assumed it was one of the tenants going to extremes and hiring a couple of skips for their rubbish!! So I'd better hurry and try to rid myself of the big pile of old grass this evening!

At the weekend, we attended the last day of the Bath & West show, at the end of the day the flower tent were selling the display plants, at giveaway prices...I came away with a HUGE potato plant, parsnip plant and some celery plants!! All for the pricely sum of £1.50! I have transplanted them all and crossing my fingers that the transplant will be successful.

Other progress - made a frame over the lettuces and brassicas and put net over the top to stop whatever it was from eating my cabbages!!
Also - planted a gardeners delight tomato plant and a sweet red pepper plant, and some french marigolds now reside beside them, hoping to ward away some naughtys!!

The next plan is for a fruit cage....I did plant some strawberries but now wondering if i should plant some in a big pot and place within future fruit cage....?

All these ideas....wish I knew what was right!! Practice makes perfect I suppose but such a shame I lost a cucumber plant and cabbages in the process :-(

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Sounds like you're on the right track, Lynsey - worry not! You're bound to lose some bits and pieces, however long you've been growing stuff!

You sound to have got some bargains at the end-of-show! Don't be too disappointed if your parsnip ends up wonky - they aren't keen on being moved around (except if they are very little and you've sown them in loo roll inners)

A fruit cage is a good idea (maybe for when you are happy with the layout of the plot) - mind you, I have a cage over the strawberries to stop the blackbirds nicking the fruit, and have found that the slugs have had a go instead :-(

Jo said...

I've just got an allotment too. At the moment I'm still clearing, weeding and digging, but I'm planting as I go along. My strawberries are fruiting now and I'll be digging spuds up soon, so I am starting to reap my rewards.

I'll keep popping back to check on your progress.

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr