Wednesday 20 May 2009


This afternoon I went up to the allotment for an hour and made the most of the dry weather until school beckoned and I went to pick the kiddies up from school ! I partially dug a bed for strawberries and planted the sprouting broccoli which was purchased at the allotment plant sale, and the cucumber plant given to me by John a fellow allotmenter from Frome (a friend).




Was disappointed to find the runners looking a little weedy so plan to take something up to wrap around them next time to protect them, being very new and in the middle of a country park, it makes it extremely open to all weathers and the runners are getting the brunt of it all.

On a good note, I earthed up a lettuce today and look forward to having it in a salad tomorrow! My very first produce from the allotment. I look forward to the seedlings maturing now and then planting some more seeds, the plugs will be finished within the fortnight!


(fresh out of the allotment, as you can tell!)


Here's hoping the bank holiday weekend will give us dry weather and plenty of opportunity for the allotment!

2 comments:

Mal's Allotment said...

You're doing pretty well to get some produce already! I see you have a bit of a battle ahead, but plenty of enthusiasm. Good luck.

(I'm hoping for some time at the plot this bank holiday weekend too.)

Hazel said...

Well done - that all looks lovely, Lynsey, and no wonder you are proud of that lettuce!

Looking at your photos, you don't seem to be troubled by pigeons, but if you do see them eyeing up your brassicas, you can always move your netting tunnel from the lettuce which may be in less need of protection.

I think that the runners will sort themselves out - you can wrap a piece of fleece round if you are worried and/or give them a feed with blood fish and bone.

Hoping for the sun at the weekend too!

Post a Comment

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr